- Effective Communication – Adapts communication to widely varied needs
Listening to others and communicating articulately, fostering open communication
- Teamwork & social skills – Working collaboratively with others to achieve organizational goals.
- Using Information Technology – Demonstrates basic knowledge and can apply the competency in common situations
Using software and information technology to accomplish one’s work. Demonstrates basic knowledge and can apply the competency in common situations
- Developing Others – Coaches others
Fostering employee development by providing a supportive learning environment.
- Work Ethics and Values – Promotes the organization’s ethics and values
Demonstrating and supporting the organization’s ethics and values.
For the instructors (trainers of trainers): Tips, recommended methods and tools for ca. 5 hours training in classroom - Click here
Effective Communication – Adapts communication to widely varied needs
Purpose/Challenge: The in-house trainers have to consider their role as trainers and examine their own communication habits and how they can enhance it to better be able to train diverse audiences.
Duration: 1 ½ hour
- The participants use the method called sociometric games to get to know each other. They discuss how they can use it as well as a tool in their training job to read cues from listeners.
Another example is “The Elevator Pitch“.
- Structured discussions (Buzz meetings) about the trainers’ role and their necessary competences to perform their duties – what to do and what not to do!
- Learning contracts as a tool for communication. The participants discuss how to make the preferred job descriptions for the employees and how to translate it into learning outcomes (contracts) as well as an assessment tool in the form of checklists (rubrics).
- Presentation of video clips/models of effective communication and how to give and receive feedback, followed by discussion, role playing or games, presenting homework.
Teamwork & social skills:
Purpose/Challenge: In-house trainers have to understand what characterizes the adult learner, different learning styles, how to work with it in groups in the training situation and how to customize the training to different individuals.
Duration: 1 hour
- In-house trainers take a short learning styles test to understand the concept. Presentation and structured discussions of several learning styles models and how to use them in the training and to advise and give feedback.
- The participants play an adventure game that fosters team spirit and builds consensus. Discussions about how to use it as a training tool. (Training in effective communication).
Using Information Technology:
Purpose/Challenge: In-house trainers must be able to use technology, at least at the same level as their (fellow) employees, to make the training job easier and smoother as well as a tool for their own advancement.
Duration: ½ hour
- Common social platform is agreed upon and discussed.
- Presentation of IT homework project relating to giving and receiving feedback, through social platform.
Developing Others – Coaches others:
Purpose: In-house trainers must have understanding of how to design learning segments and basic ideas of how to implement and motivate others.
Duration: 1 hour
- Presentation of a learning design model to see the whole picture as well as Guiding lights for modern design.
- Examples of different learning outcomes and how to use it in training.
- Presentation of tasks to do at the workplace, worksheet, related to giving feedback.
Work Ethics and Values:
Purpose: In-house trainers must have a clear image of own values and duties as a role model. They have to be able to deal with ethical cases that come up in the training situation.
Duration: 1 hour
- Case Studies – two different cases and discussions – OJTs design their own cases.
- Presentation – difficult people – how to deal with the most common cases!
- Video clips of different reactions.
- Presentation of worksheet (to explore ethical issues in their workplace).
- Quick assessment – the ball or the chicken? – after each segment in this part.
Tasks to do at the workplace (ca. 5 hours)
Purpose/challenge: In-house trainers must be able to practice, in the working environment, some of the learning outcomes from Part 1 and integrate competences, as IT and giving feedback. .
Duration: 5 hours
- Use of defined social platform according to worksheet.
- Communication practice according to worksheet (giving and receiving feedback in the workplace).
- Collects information of ethical issues according to worksheet.
Self assessment for Part 1
How to assess your competences:
- Read every learning outcome carefully and answer as sincerely as possible about your knowledge and competence in each case.
- Bear in mind all the knowledge, skills and experience you have acquired in your former jobs, projects, courses, and social or private life.
In assessing your competences you can ask yourself:
- Have I been in a situation where I had to use this competence?
- How did I use the competence and what was my contribution to the task?
The rating system for the assessment
Select the cell that best describes your abilities:
- Little knowledge/skills/competence: I need to learn from the basics and upwards.
- Some knowledge/skills/competence: I need some assistance to enhance it.
- Good knowledge/skills/competence: I can work myself on enhancing it.
- Very good knowledge/skills/competence: I can assist others to acquire it.
Registered users can keep track of their results. You can easily register here
Social and communication skills and work-place practice: training overview, effective communication, teamwork, IT, developing others, work ethics and values.
Training skills and work-place practice: communication, teamwork, fostering and organizing adult learning.
Adaptability and Problem solving and work-place practice: IT, adaptability and problem solving.